Saturday, December 17, 2011

Big


Okay.  So I took my life in my hands and jumped off the edge.  I have never, ever tried to do something like this.  I'm not sure if it works totally, but it was fun and now I know that I can do it.  The canvas is 36" x something.  To me it's huge.  I had seen an article in Somerset Studio about just doing circles.  I loved that, but wanted to do something for Mom as she wanted something for her bathroom.  The leap to bubbles was easy.  The feet came after I stepped out of the shower one day.  Inside the larger bubbles are copies that I ran of different pictures and items that I have from the past.  There is a V-mail envelope, part of a photo receipt, the copy of a birth certificate; stuff like that!  I circle punched the copies with various sized punches then placed them on the canvas (which was gessoed) with MP.  I painted around them with paint and some with modeling paste mixed with paint, smudged some ink around the bubbles, added some bubble wrap bubbles and then some jewels, beads and stones.  The feet are mine from a tracing/pattern (remember, I can't draw).  The red nail polish is so my mom.  I love that.

Does anyone remember those pictures you could get that would have an additional 'bonus' print that was smaller ?  We always got those.



My sister in Colorado a long time ago.  To the right, my grandmother.

Will's birth certificate.

If you know my mom, you know that she always has her toes painted.  I wanted a kind of caricature look for those and think it actually works.

I put modeling paste around some of the bigger bubbles.  I am addicted to that stuff.  This is a picture of the arch before they put on the top.  Some of you may remember that, circa 1965.

The top right large bubble is a copy of a photo album my dad got from Japan.  It is beautiful.

The 'whistle shirt' is from a shirt my brother, Ed, had that had different whistles all over it.  What a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment