Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Army According to Buko

Korea from the air.  This is looking inland.
We call my dad Buko.  It seems to me that it was started by one of my brother's girls.  He used to always say things  like, "What's going on, Buko?" and they started calling him that.  The name has stuck.

While Dad and I were talking about his Korean War experiences, I was having a bit of trouble with the Army thing.  Understanding all of the ranks and battalions and units.  It was making me crazy.

Dad explained it all as best he could so I thought that I would fill you in, too.  Just in case you are as clueless as I was!

The Army According to Buko:

Individual then Squad then Platoon then Company
Three Companies make up a Battalion
Three Battalions make up a Regiment
Three Regiments make up an Army
Three Armies make up a Corps

Whew.  Now that you have all of that, I will add what I found in my research with regards to the specifics in Korea.

The Korean coast.



There were three Corps during the conflict:  1st Corps, 2nd Corps and the Commonwealth Corps which included troops from Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.  The 151st was in 1st Corps.  Then there were random Korean and Chinese troops, both allies and enemies.  We will tackle those as they come up!




No comments:

Post a Comment