Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Not for the Faint at Heart (or Foot)

Plain old cast
There are going to be some rather graphic photos at the end of this post.  You will have to click to get there, but I wanted to warn you.  If you don't want to see them, don't click!

My neighbor is so funny.  She seems to be the one who has to take me to really important doctor visits.  She was the one who took me to have the staples taken out of my knee 3 years ago.  That was kind of cool.  She said she didn't mind.

This time, I had to call on her again.  She took me to my post op visit yesterday.  I honestly didn't know they were going to take some staples out.  I thought they were just going to take the splint off, xray the sucker and put on a new cast.

Trying to keep busy.
Well, they did take off the cast/splint.  And for some reason, I didn't think about what would be underneath.  I have to say that I am fascinated by stuff like that.  I always watch any procedures that are done to me (where I am conscious anyway).  Lucky for me, Neighbor Ann is kind of the same way.

I was pretty surprised to see 3 pretty big incisions.  Holy scars, Batman!  No wonder they don't want me walking on this thing for 6 weeks.  I may never walk on it again.  I look like Dr. Frankenstein's first attempt at a leg transplant.  Seriously.  It was pretty cool though.
Finally felt like painting!

After some xrays we had a nice lesson about something called Haglund's Deformity (or Pump Bump, look it up). Wanna know what was really awesome?  You could see the staples on the xray.  They were just hanging there in space.

Then the best thing:  I got to pick my cast color!  I chose: Glow in the Dark!  My own personal night light.

There will be painting on the cast.  It will be removed next Friday, but a girl has to have some fun.  I will need help because I can't get all the way around it since, unlike The Boot, I can't take it off to paint it.

So far, my biggest post op complaint is that I am getting blisters on my hands.  Oh, and this thing makes me heat up fast!  And I visit Arizona in July.  You know it's gotta be bad!



Okay.  This is my foot.  It is actually swollen, but not too badly.  Just super puffy.  A balloon foot, if you will.

Okay.  Only click the Read More link if you want to see more pictures.  You have been warned.

The Achilles repair.  This was the most painful thing ever before surgery.  I couldn't even touch it!

And this gnarly guy is on the outside of the ankle.  Apparently it was a mess.  No, I didn't draw on myself.

This is the one that surprised me.  They released the calf muscle and I was surprised that the incision was this big. 





No comments:

Post a Comment