Friday, June 6, 2014

Cast On, Cast Off

Do you remember the picture that I posted of my shiny new cast last week?  In case you missed it...ta dah!

Of course, I cannot leave such a perfect canvas untouched now, can I?

I am not a contortionist and I cannot remove the cast, like I could the boot, to work on it.  So, with my trusty paint pens and some help from my niece (formerly known as Twilight Girl but whom I will now dub TFIOS Addict) I was able to decorate my life a little.  I thought a high top Converse style shoe would work.  Yes, I know the front is crooked.  Working upside down is not my strong suit.

I did the front and the right side (my right).  TFIOS Addict did the left side and the back seam.  She also drew in the star for the Converse circle.

Yup.  I did this part.













Love the seam in the back.

My niece was nervous to do this, but she did an excellent job!

Now I have a shiny new cast to paint.  It is glow in the dark again, because seriously, it is a nightlight for getting to the bathroom in the dark!  Plus it provides a nice canvas and is cooler than, say, a black cast, which my niece was hoping I would get.

I do have a few ideas.  One of them has ME nervous, so I will probably sketch it out first.  I will have this one for 3 weeks, so I don't want to mess it up.  

They took out the staples and I took out my camera phone.  It looks good.  Just a lot of swelling, which I need to get used to as that can take a good 6 months to go away.  I am off of most drugs, just a couple of 800 mg Ibuprofens a day.  And, quite frankly, that is to keep the right knee (my new one) from getting so stiff and swollen.  Poor thing has to bear all of my not inconsiderable weight.
I have even dared to look at flights to NYC.  Although, maybe not so much walking this year.  And I am going to STL soon for a little parental units visit.

This baby comes off at the end of the month, so just a few more weeks to endure.  Then the real fun starts...PT.  Luckily, I saved some of the drugs for just such an occasion.

Enter below at your own risk!




The Achilles.  I think these look great.  The lovely nurse/tech who took out the staples, cleaned them up a bit and even cleaned my orange toes for me! 


The calf.  Not quite totally healed.  Understandable since this has to keep flexing all the time.

I don't even want to work this one.  I am kind of glad that PT is still in the future.  I just hope I don't cry in therapy.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are making lemonade from lemons! Good luck with your PT I know that can be very challenging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The PT is the 'fun' part. I really don't want to do it so long after surgery. Oh well. Since I want to walk again, I think I will keep at it when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete