Monday, January 19, 2015

Elcy's Buried Treasures

My grandmother, 1949
My mother is getting older (I am not, however) and she has decided to give me some things that she no longer needs/wants.  She used to make candy Christmas trees out of styrofoam tree shapes and then she would give them to her friends.  She has stopped doing this and has decided to 'spread the wealth' so to speak.  I received a couple of boxes of materials that she had stored away.

In these boxes, underneath the tiny little tree embellishments, however, was buried treasure. I found things from my grandmother, Elcy. I just love how I occasionally unearth her things. She meant the world to me and I miss her very much. She was a great grandmother.

Businesses used to give little trinkets
like these to their customers.
In the latest boxes that I was given, I found little items that brought back memories of Elcy.  There were packets of old buttons, mostly used up.  I recognise some of the brands, but not all.  There were several needle packs.  I don't know if needles still come in big packs like this, but they did in the 60's. There were partially used thread spools and even a few Christmas items.

The needle packs.
When I saw these tiny mementos, I was instantly transported back into her apartment.  She helped me learn to sew. She made great cookies.  I can see us sitting in her kitchen playing cards, sewing, making dinner. I spent a lot of time at her place. It was like a mini vacation for me, since there were three younger siblings tearing it up at our house. I remember hating it when Sunday came along and I had to go home.

So here's to Elcy, the greatest grandmother that anyone could ever have.  I miss you.


The thread that has DD written on it was mine.  I must have
used it for some project.  







No comments:

Post a Comment