Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine Parties!

I believe that I have mentioned (probably ad infinitum) that I work at a preschool.  While I no longer teach, I do get to interact with all the children every day.  Sometimes I am the sub, but that doesn't happen very often.  We preschool teachers are a hardy bunch.

Today was Valentine Party Day!  The kids were so excited.  They had all decorated their boxes with lots of gaudy things like glitter hearts, doilies and glitter glue.  They had all labored over their little Valentines that would go to their friends (read one for everybody).  Everyone had brought in the Valentines and distributed them, quite proudly I might add.

The little girls pretty much arrived dressed in their Valentine glory:  hearts, red, pink, you name it! Some of the boys wore their red shirts or a dress shirt and some even had cute tees that said things like "Most Eligible Bachelor".  They were all primed and ready.

I went to sit at the computer (this is where I spend a lot of my day) and lo and behold there was a small pile of goodies waiting for me there.  In that pile were little cards, suckers, candy, a homemade heart crayon, a cool box of brownie mix with frosting and a Whitey's gift card (for those of you who are not from our area, this is the best darn ice cream ever.  It's even been highlighted on a Food Network show about milkshakes).

I know that some of my Valentines were suggested by the parents. That's cool as I love our parents. But I also know that some of them were given to me by little hearts that said, "Don't forget Mrs. L!"

And that dear people is why I do what I do.  Not because of the gifts (although that Whitey's one is realllllllly appreciated).  No it is the joy I see every single day in the hearts and souls of these guys.  And the fact that I was allowed to be a part of this all too short period of time in their lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment