Saturday, February 11, 2012

ISO


Today I started practicing with the ISO settings from this wonderful woman's blog http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/01/photography-course-overview.html  I believe that it is week 4 of the course and so far we have done Aperture and Shutter Speed which were very eye opening for me.  I am somewhat familiar with ISO as I took a lot of film pics back in the day and you could get different ISO's.  The main problem was that with point and shoots you had to use an entire roll of one kind.  Of course, the other settings helped to compensate, but with digital cameras you can get the right ISO you need regardless of where you are in your shooting.  That is very cool.
Because, for the most part, the lighting remains fairly constant with changing the ISO, I think it is a little hard to tell what the setting is.  For me, it is grainier the higher the setting.  I edited these in Picnik (sniff, sniff) and except for the 100 ISO picture, I did not do anything but crop.
For those of you who don't know, this is the majestic Pluto.  She is a fantastic kitty; a bit whacked, but with the most beautiful green eyes that you have ever seen.  She crawled under my desk and was begging to be let up so I shot the film you see.  I learned that with the lower ISO setting (and the WB set to Auto along with Aperture and Shutter Speed) the shutter speed will really drop in a more dim setting like under the desk.  Whoa.  I wasn't expecting that connection, but it was cool to finally see a little how they interact.  I do have some pics taken in a west facing window (as instructed) but I couldn't resist my little girl.  I learned a lot though.
If you continue through all of the ISO pics, you will see a better pic of my girl taken with a point and shoot (Panasonic with Leica lens, shot in Macro).  It's my fav and the layout was up in the store for a while.



The motion is a result of the super
slow shutter speed.
Same effect.







I called this layout 'The Familiar' because it was
using The Apothecary Emporium papers
by Echo Park and Pluto looks
extremely witchy here.






5 comments:

  1. Looking real good!!! Your little girl is DARLING! And I'm so excited for you having a new lens...you'll never use anything else again, it totally ROCKS!!! Thanks for sharing your photography! You're doing GREAT!!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what I infer from this is that higher ISO makes the cat look closer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. That was just me, shifting a bit in position probably. I tried to stay still and not move, but it's hard. The ISO is the camera's sensitivity to light. Like a sheer over a window so to speak. I sheer will dim the light a bit, but you have the option of pulling it aside. The lower the ISO, the less light. The higher the ISO, the more light and the pics tend to be grainier, depending on some other factors. If it is a bright day, you will need to set the ISO lower. All of these things (aperture, iso and shutter speed) control the exposure. It all works together somehow. I am almost to where the light bulb will turn on in my head regarding this stuff, but not quite! Zoom makes the item look closer or getting closer. A telephoto lens for example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, the lower the ISO the less light your camera is letting in for exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise I love your photography!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If i ever need your help with my camera i am so calling you!!!!!!! i am pretty sure that you know more about cameras than Ad man! Please don't tell him that i said that!! Love your blog and Morgan says hi! The Gummy Bear Bandit aka your niece from KU land.

    ReplyDelete