Saturday, February 18, 2012

My First Face


So the latest art lesson from Christy Tomlinson and her She Art 2 online class has involved painting eyes, nose, mouth and more detailed hair.  Big gulp.  This is my first attempt at a real face.  I have watched all of the videos a couple of times.  After a little detail practice in my notebook, it was time to take the plunge.  This is a rather large canvas (11x11, I think) so it was a little more daunting for me.  I cut the face too long and I don't thing the eyes are placed in the right part of the face vertically (they should be a bit lower), but otherwise, I am not too disappointed with my first effort.  I kept the details minimal around her as I wanted the face to be the focal point.  It is very hard for me to edit, so that alone was a huge accomplishment.
I am not sure what I am going to do with her.  Right now, she is staring at me.
Another project is in the works and then I have to develop those thank you cards I promised my sister.  And I need to finish them BEFORE I visit her in Arizona.  Yup.  I have a couple of weeks at least.



The papers are mainly K and Company from one of those pads you buy and then you don't know why you bought it.  Her face is book paper and her shirt is Graphic 45.  I used Faber Castel Big Pens for shading, lips, eyes, etc.  Graphite pencil, ink, acrylics, Golden Fluid Acrylics and a lot of paint dabbers by both Ranger and Jenni Bowlin help to round out the supplies.  I used various 6 x 6 stencils, stamps and roller stamps.  My new fav is the small dot one that you see all over the canvas.  You can also catch a glimpse or two of the film strip roller stamp.  Of course, I used my normal amount of rub-ons and then the punchinella for the white honeycomb effect.  Yum.









2 comments: