Monday, June 25, 2012

More Polka Dots and a Bit of Recycling


When your friend names your studio room for you and she calls it the Batcave, you may be in trouble.  Thanks, Kelly.  I am a bit of a supply hoarder and a found objects hoarder.  I did a page of polka dots last week and mentioned that when I was cleaning off the ink from the stencil, the ink went onto the paper towel underneath and left a cool pattern.  I kept it.  I was going to use it.  Yea.  Right.

Well, guess what?  I did.  I have some pics of an art journal page on FUN that I made this weekend and I used the paper towel for the flowers.  I just randomly cut out some circles, hot glued them on and voila!  Flowers.

Here are the actual remnants of the paper towel.  Should I save this?

I wasn't sure if the paper towel would take rub-ons, but it did.





The stems were made by cutting up an old hand crocheted doily style  furniture cover.  It was ripped and I think that I paid a dollar for it at a garage sale.  The leaves are the scallops from the same piece.

I colored the stems and the leaves with alcohol inks.




This quote is from my nephew and I want it to be said about me after I have left this world.  "It's like she isn't even a grown up!"




FUN  yup that's what it's all about.

3 comments:

  1. You should teach a class on documentation or make money documenting work for other people... I would've paid someone to photograph my work for me and I think I did a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Thanks for sharing your journal pages. I have enjoyed seeing your take on her process. I love the texture on your page with the paper towel flowers. Now I have to ask, does your journal close? After watching CL's video I was chuckling to myself thinking, "there is a reason she uses a new journal for each week- they don't close." I haven't tried anything chunkier than the wood veneer butterflies. (And I only used two!)

    What kind of inks are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one is popping open pretty well. It is spiral bound and in other classes, Christy has said that she prefers hardbound because they do close. I have been gluing 2 pages together as this is a specific Mixed Media journal so the pages are a good weight. In other ones I have glued three pages together. I was looking at it the other day and I thought, "I'm glad that I only have two more F's to do as that is going to be about all this one can take!"
      I did make a baby book for a friend that was hardbound and I think that will be okay, just fat. You can always use a heavy duty rubberband to keep it closed. That is what I will probably do. Or a pretty ribbon!

      Delete