Sunday, April 14, 2013

Squirrel! or, How to Survive a Walk with The Rach

The Rach is a fun dog.  But he is difficult to walk.  In his humble (or not) opinion, all critters belong to him and he needs to go after them.  All of them.  He is especially focused on one critter in particular.  The squirrel.  He feels that it is imperative that he chase each and every squirrel that he encounters.  We don't like to get angry with him because it is only his instinct telling him what to do.  Tree the critter.  Of course, we are short on bears here in suburban Iowa, so The Rach has to focus on the squirrels.  All of them.  All. Of. Them.

We use a collar called the Gentle Leader.  It has completely transformed our walks and is the only way that I can manage him without dislocating both of my shoulders.  It does not, however, take the squirrel hunt out of the dog.  

We have a new DOLA (Dog Off Leash Area) here in town that is a mile or less from the house.  Since the weather was actually warmer than normal (for like the 3rd time this spring), I decided to walk him over.  Below is the transcript of our walk.  I know this because The Rach is so transparent and easy to read.

Walk walk walk walk 

SQUIRREL!  oh please oh please let me get it please please please ple...

Walk walk walk walk 
walk walk walk wa...

SQUIRREL!  I know I can get it it just went up that tree and I like to climb trees oh please oh please
Walk walk walk walk
walk walk wal...

SQUIRREL!  I can get it yes I can you are mean let me at it you are mean let me at it

Walk walk

SQUIRREL!  please please please let me at it

Walk walk walk walk


Well, you get the idea.  The squirrels are out after their long winter sleep.  And there are a lot of them.  And each one has been targeted by The Rach to fulfill his own personal squirrel vendetta.  It almost makes me wish we had bears.  Almost.


This little cutie came to the DOLA while we were there.



I know the pic is bad, but so cute!  Rach is so gentle.


A 'Rachism' in action:  share everything (more this week)


Pretty Boy!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment