Sunday, October 7, 2012

Eagles


Because I am a lovable, forgetful nut, I am going to go backwards in time and post some stuff from this past April.


We ran over to KU Land for my nephew's Eagle Scout Ceremony.  I had never been to one of these.  What do they do?  Do they salute the flag and say the Boy Scout promise 5 million times?  I just didn't know.  But, we were willing to give it a go and see what happened.

Of course, my brother (Ad Man) let us know a few weeks ahead of time so that we could plan this all out.  He even sent us an official invitation.  Ad Man had to do some fast talking but he managed to convince the Parentals to come.  Something about they had never been to any of the kids games or tournaments or horse shows, you know, really good guilt trip stuff.

We were staying in KC, KS because the only problem with staying in KU Land in April is that one weekend in the spring they have the intersquad football game.  So, you guessed it, it was the same weekend of the Eagle Scout thingy.  We ran into town anyway and had some good fun at the yarn shop (?).  Do it if you dare.

If you have never been to an Eagle Scout Ceremony, let me tell you, it is pretty cool.  You need to go.  Just randomly show up at one, it will be alright.  There is the part where they bring in the 'colors', better known as flags.  Then all the Boy Scouts come in with their uniforms and badges and things.  There are speakers, there is a part for the mom and the dad, then the new Eagle Scout speaks.  I learned a lot of things about my nephew.  He seems pretty cool.  At least, that is what everyone said.

After the 'colors' 'retire' (they walk the flags out), you get to go to the next room for food.  There were bowls of gummi bears, chocolate, cake, punch; all sorts of good yummy things.  If you are really lucky, you are at the place where the new Eagle has done his Eagle Project.  Then you get to see it.  And it might be a locked wooden shed that he built.

After a good dinner at Ad Man's favorite Chinese restaurant, it was time to truck the Parentals back to the hotel.  It was a long day for them and they had to get to the train station by 3 pm the next day for the trip back home. If you have parents who are in their 80's you will understand.  I think they were recovered by that Wednesday or Thursday.

PS:  There really isn't more to read, but I put a bunch of pictures after this jump break.  Eagle Mom, this is for you.


Aww.  Their mother would be proud.


Uh huh.


Ad Man and Eagle Mom before the ceremony.


Other than this picture (the colors coming in) and the last Ceremony picture (the colors retiring) I don't have these Ceremony pictures in the correct order.


I know this one!  It's the Boy Scout Promise.


I think that arrow thing on the sash is for Eagle Boy attaining the Order of the Arrow ranking.  Not sure what that means other than I think it has something to do with getting tapped out?


OK, if memory serves, this is the entire group of Eagle Scouts saying something together.  I remember being impressed with how many Eagle Scouts were at this Ceremony.


Master of Ceremonies


Eagle Boy had to give his dad a couple of pins.  I don't know what they were for, but it was cool.


They let Eagle Mom get in on the action too.






This was one of Eagle Boy's grade school teachers.  She gave the Opening Prayer and the Benediction.




I know this one.  The colors are retiring.


A good sister is worth a thousand words.  


Very impressive array of badges.  I think he earned them all?  I am hoping that Eagle Mom will send me a corrective email for all of my mistakes.


The pins that Ad Man earned for having an Eagle Boy.


There were lots of goodies like these at the reception.  Eagle Mom did a bang up job on the scrapbooks too.


Gummi snatchers.


More impressive badgery.


Ad Man has a chance to relax a bit.


My other bro and part of his family were able to make it in from STL.


My dad and Ad Man at dinner the night before the Ceremony.


Alaska Girl was able to swoop in for her yearly visit and got to see all the relatives in one blow.


Here is the shed that was the Eagle Project.  The architect has to check it out.


The Parentals with Alaska Girl and the Sweater from Hell.  Don't ask.



I bet she doesn't even know she is mimicking her grandmother.  Tee hee.



Alaska Girl is always so tired when she gets here.  Dang.  You would think she had been traveling for a day or something.



1 comment:

  1. I agree with Aunt Neise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you get to go to an Eagle Souct Court of Honor you should totaly go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone who came had a great time!!!!!! My fellow accomplise in the Great Gummy Bear Robery agrees!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if Ad Man would be able to convince The Parentals to come back down to KU land again for one of my things???????????? By the way Morgan (my accomplise) absolutely loves that she got to be on your blog!!!!!!!!!!!! And she thinks that you are really cool as do i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep posting Aunt Nesie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amy (the sister of Eagle Boy/ the Gummy Bear Bandit)

    ReplyDelete