Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fierce Creatures

You know, I love being a mom.  I love my kids.  I know that they love me even though they have moved almost as far away as possible while still staying in the continental US...oh wait, one is not in the lower 48.

When your children move away to college and beyond, you still worry about them.  It doesn't matter that they are halfway across the country.  There was a commercial for some facial tissue that showed a mom getting a phone call from her sick son who was away at school.  She grabbed a box of that tissue, traveled for hours and gave it to her suffering son.  I can't for the life of me remember the brand, but I so get that emotion.  Your kids are your kids forever.

Uh huh.  Then your kid(s) decides to do something brilliant like live in an area where there are creatures known to maim and destroy humans.  Just because they are old enough to drink without a fake ID doesn't make them smarter than, oh say, a bear.  This brings me to my latest thoughts about my kids and their proximity to fierce creatures.

You have all heard me talk about Alaska Girl.  Well, I will get back to her in a minute.  Let me remind you that Swim Girl lived out west for a couple of years in the land of Orange.  County that is.  Just like the housewives.  She would ramble about and find cool places to hike and bike.  Alone.  By herself.  Without leaving a note for her roommates indicating where to start looking for her body if she never made it back.  Then one day, I get this picture.


Really inspires confidence that my child will be safe.

Thankfully, she is back in the bosom of her family which means that she has moved back home, doesn't have a job, has her crap all over the place and plays with her cat all the time.  Love you, Swim Girl.

Now, Alaska Girl has long given me fits of worry over her safety from critters.  I recall the brilliant idea she and a friend had that involved driving to Alaska on the Al-Can Highway (which takes a week) using nothing but used cooking oil.  They spent a lot of time getting oil from the school, straining it, saving it.  I asked what all that used oil smelled like and my daughter said, "French fries."  I pointed out that maybe it wasn't the smartest plan to drive and camp through remote bear country smelling like a giant, moving human French fry.  She had to think about that one.  They wound up flying

So, she is living in the far north and has fierce creature encounters nearly every day.  It makes me just tingle with joy.  Remember her job stint working for the bear viewing airline company?  They got damn close to those grizzlies.  And then you may remember these pics from this summer.  All are designed to put my worrying heart to rest.


This is Valet Bear.  He was seen often around the valet lot where she worked.  He was known to jump up and down on a new Mercedes to try and get at sandwiches left in the back seat.  Imagine getting your car back from valet with bear claw marks.


And this is Condo Bear who was seen, you got it, right outside her condo.  Just warms my heart.


Of course, we mustn't forget On the Walk Home from the Resort Bear.  I am starting to be glad that she has a dog that trees these things.  

Remember, please, that I am not even discussing the wolves and moose (mooses? meece?).

Now there is a new animal in the fierce creature menagerie.  A kitty.  See.


It's a backyard kitty.  It only wants to play.


Like I said.  I am really glad she has this dog and she is absolutely not allowed out in her yard without him!  No way.  I am sure that she will adhere to that even though I am nowhere near her.  Right?  Right?????

Well, at least I don't have these worries about Computer Boy since he lives in Manhattan.


No comments:

Post a Comment