Friday, May 31, 2013

Oops!

Okay.  I think that I have it now.  I totally forgot how to do pages that will take posts in blogger.  Quick refresher is done and now I have it.  I think.

Grocery Boy, Swim Girl and I visited the Korean War
Memorial in August of 2009.
For those who don't know, this is a page that will be all about my dad and his Army experiences.  He is a Korean War Veteran.

I interviewed him at length this past fall.  We went through his pictures (boy, did he have a lot!) and I managed to organize everything and put it into a book.  I published it through Shutterfly and then I gave a copy to him and my siblings.

I have to tell you that once I put that puppy to bed, it was time for me to not look at it for a while.  It has been many years since I have done something that intense.  I guess that explains why it has taken me so long to start this.


Anyway, my plan is to basically reproduce the book in stages, along with his pictures, on this blog page.  Some we could not identify (I mean, I can't remember what I did yesterday and here I was expecting him to remember names and places from over 60 years ago).  Many photos we could identify.  And some we think we got after lots of completely fascinating research.  I will admit that I got a little lost sometimes.  And sometimes I got sucked into the vortex of the ever expanding research.

It was really cool talking to Dad about his experiences.  He remembered so much.  I know that he didn't share everything with me, but that's his choice.

My fondest dream from all of this is that one of you all will show this to a Korean War Vet and maybe, just maybe, that Vet will remember the 151st Combat Battalion (Company C) and a tall skinny guy from Missouri, my dad, Master Sergeant Carl E. Day.

So, strap on your gear and get ready for what I promise will be an interesting, if not extremely literary, ride to the Land of the Morning Calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment