Thursday, July 19, 2012

What's That Red Stuff?

Day 3

I had to ask that question.  It is actually a type of rubberized, waterproofing material that they paint on over the special waterproof wall board.  I promise, this is not the color of our new bathroom.  Although...I am tempted!


The shower will be mainly 6 x 8 inch subway tile with two strips of the decorative glass tile.  One row will run below the window and the other in the upper third of the window area.  There will be 2 ceramic corner shelves in the right corner and a towel bar on the back right wall.  The guy doing the work graciously spent some time with me this morning plotting this out so that I would be happy.  Thanks, Bryan.

I finally decided on a shower curtain.  For those of you who don't know, I have been agonizing over this for more than a month.  We need an extra long (72" x 84") and while that is easily acquired in a liner, not so much in the actual curtain.  I had my mind set on a bold print, but nothing struck me that was the correct size.  Everything really cute was too small.  Wait, where have I heard that before...?

While I was in STL,  all of us girls had appointments for our nails.  Since I had to wait for mine, I popped into The Fabric Nosherie in good old Webster Groves.  What an adorable place and the nicest people!  They let me order some fabric swatches for a custom made curtain and after a couple of phone calls and a lot of work on their part, the swatches arrived.  I love the fabrics, but unfortunately, they don't go with the tile.  Silly me, I hadn't thought of that part.  I am really glad the tile arrived so that I could see it all up close.  Uh oh.  Back to square one.  Thank you Shannon and Miriam!  I promise to return!  And anyone in the area, please go see them for your fabric needs.

The decorative glass tile that caused all of the trouble.  There will be two strips of this in the shower.
Note that it is light gray/blue in color.  

The glass tiles with the white subway tile.  The white will cover the rest of the shower to the ceiling.

The floor tile.  It is hard to tell, but it is really a light gray and white marbled tile.  

The fabric swatches.  I had my heart set on the True Turquoise (the big  zigzag), but it just didn't work.  The dark is navy and the other is called Girly Blue.  The navy worked, but I wanted it in the larger zigzag and that wasn't available.  Oh well.  At least I have some cool fabric for some art pieces!  They may yet make it into that bathroom.

As I was agonizing on what to do, I remembered that I had gone to Restoration Hardware while I was in Phoenix.  I had actually seen the towels and colors while I was there and I fell in love with the blue scheme.  I am pretty sure that they are the exact, right color palette.  So, I ordered a plain shower curtain in Shore; and towels and rugs in Shore, Marine and Azure.  We shall see.  I hope that it all goes because I paid a lot of shipping and I really want this to be over.  I will just have to pull in indigo, red and yellow in some artwork for the walls.  Hmmm.

The colors are Shore, Marine and Azure from top to bottom.  The shower curtain is Shore which is the palest of icy blues.  This fits right in with my idea of icy blue wall paint, which is why I was stressing since that hasn't been picked yet!  I sure hope these things come soon as I need to pick that paint.



Well, that's the current progress report.  I have to mention Bettendorf Home Repair and what a great job they have all been doing.  I am so pleased with the work and the way they understand that this is a big deal for us.  Finally, it's paying off to be high maintenance.  HA!

2 comments: