Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Long Walk, Dangerous Gangs and a Cautionary Tale

The cool thing about traveling in this modern age is that you don't usually have to set your main time piece to a new time zone.  It will do it for you.  I do set my Mickey Mouse watch, but not my phone.  I should have reset my iPod though.  I forgot that it was on Central Time while I took my morning 'constitutional'.  That's okay.  I know now that I can get ready in 20 minutes.

There is a very cool walkway along the East River down near the South Street Seaport.  It is called the East River Waterfront Esplanade.  I was a little scared to go by myself, mainly because I wasn't certain how to get there, where it went or what neighborhoods I would need to pass through (I neglected to take one of my handy dandy NYC maps with me on this trip), but my son assured me that the most dangerous thing I would see would be some old people doing strange moves.  I was still worried because I have seen a lot of movies and I know about dangerous gangs.  I went on my walk anyway.  Hopefully, Spiderman will show up if I need him.

I generally try not to actually carry my camera in my hand because I usually want to look cooler than that.  I can't help it in NYC.  So I put my baby around my neck and headed off for the Esplanade.  Did you know that there is a Trapeze School down at the Pier?  There is.  Unfortunately, I was there so early that no one was trapezing yet.  No pics, sorry.

I didn't need to worry about my safety after all.  Unless you are scared of Asian women doing T'ai Chi under a raised highway, it is pretty safe.  They do look pretty strong, though.  You do have to watch out for all of the construction.  I imagine that they will be finished with the Esplanade in my lifetime, but it could be close.


Ah yes, the Brooklyn Bridge.  Next trip I will walk across.


And I was worried.  I love the purse on the girder.




A view of the Williamsburg Bridge.  I almost made it, but this is where I looked at my phone and realized I had been checking my iPod for the time.  Oops.


Another gosh darn wavy building.  


So this is one of the new towers.  We didn't have a chance to explore the area.  Maybe on another trip.

Cautionary Note:  If you are ever going to cook bacon wrapped dates, you might want to put them on a pan with sides.  If you use a regular cookie sheet the bacon grease will very excitingly go onto the floor of the oven.  Then you have a lot of smoke which causes the smoke detector to sound.  You have to open all of the windows while the air conditioning is on and you have to bring up all of the fans from the basement.  You then have to call your neighbor and see if you can use her oven to finish cooking the things and spend all of Sunday morning cleaning up the mess.  Baking soda with vinegar works really well.  And guess what?  I didn't do this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment