Saturday, August 18, 2012

What the Heck is the High Line?

And I'm off!  Big surprise, right?  I took another trip, this time to the East Coast.

That's right, New York City.  I flew into Newark (way cheaper), took the Super Shuttle (way cheaper, but not worth the time it takes, private car next time) and arrived alive in downtown Manhattan.  I was super late for a lunch date with Ballerina Girl (Alaska Girl's friend from high school) so after grabbing a quick bite Computer Boy went off to Brooklyn and I headed to Chelsea.  I must add here that I stayed with Computer Boy in his studio apartment.  I offered to clean.  I begged to clean.  I was told it was clean enough.  My heart was broken.  But, I gallantly kept my mouth shut until now.  Note to self:  purchase Soap.com gift card for him for Christmas.  Anyway, thanks for saving me about $600 bud!

Ballerina Girl and I about squished each other we hugged so hard.  But, she had just been to see Alaska Girl, so I was absorbing some of that.  She works at Chisholm Larsson, a very cool vintage poster gallery with completely charming owners.  They were ever so kind to me, gifted me with some great old reproduction carte postales (that's French for postcards, putting that college education to work) and even took our picture.  See.  Thanks guys.  I hope to return on my next visit!


Ballerina Girl and I had lunch together and she told me to go to The High Line.  Now I have been to NYC many times and I have never heard of that.  Apparently, it is an old, above the street railroad track that they have restored and changed into a walkway/garden/food and drink venue.  It was so cool!  I only traveled a few blocks (down to the Meat Packing District), but I was entranced.  Such amazing  views and fun neighborhoods!  Thanks for the tip, Ballerina Girl!  Oh, and I was told by the above mentioned gallery owners that if I headed uptown I would be able to see Suri Cruise's new preschool.  I was tempted, but I refrained.

In looking over my pics, I see that I didn't actually take any of The High Line itself so I guess that I will have to return next year.  Darn.  More vacation adventures will be coming soon, including my ventures through Chelsea and my head plant on the sidewalks of New York!  Stay tuned.


I took this for Alaska Girl.  I think it was on the corner of 17th and 9th maybe.  How ironic.



These are the stairs that you will need to climb if you want to visit The High Line.  Sorry.


Such cool architecture.  I loved the old next to the new.  I can't remember the name of the architect who does the wavy buildings, but I love them.


View to the Hudson River which is maybe one block west of The High Line.  



So the designers have pretty much taken over this part of Chelsea.  That's Diane Von Furstenberg's store in the center.  Lots of high end shops here.  Yeah, I didn't bother.


Someone tell me who this architect is please.

No comments:

Post a Comment