Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Sidewalks of New York

I miss my baby.  No, not my kids.  My Canon Rebel EOS T3.  It is being fixed/cleaned and they told me it could take up to a month.  It has only been a week, but I feel like one of my arms is missing.  So sad.


When you are in New York City, you do a lot of walking.  The further 'downtown' you get (I know, all of Manhattan is downtown really), the weirder the streets get.  Then you have to add in the sidewalk scaffolding that hides street names and voila, you can't figure out where you are.  At all.  I walked past Computer Boy's street about 5 times and he had to talk to me on the phone to help me find it.  Stupid construction.

The other thing about walking in this city is that you have to pay attention to things like the rise in a sidewalk.  All of them are geared for wheelchairs, strollers, bikes, etc.  There are the flat parts where you can roll right up onto the next sidewalk and then the sidewalk starts to gradually rise up as you go along the road.  So, let's say that you are coming at it from the side a little and maybe you aren't really paying attention and maybe also, you may have had a couple of glasses of wine with a mediocre dinner.  You just might catch your foot on that little 1 inch rise if you aren't paying attention.  And when you catch your foot, you may stumble forward, in front of God and everyone and you may do a face plant.  Possibly.  Perhaps.  It could happen.


Oh yeah.  Love me some South Street Seaport!


One my favorite things about this city has got to be the juxtaposition of the old/new.  It completely fascinates me and a lot of my pics are random looking because that is what I am trying to capture.


Just a bit up the street is the clock that is in the movie "Big Daddy".  It isn't working now, but they are working on it.



The view 'uptown' from Computer Boy's apartment.


The view to the East River.



There are those scaffoldings that cause you to get a little turned around.

Squirt Alert:  I was just notified that said kitty has climbed up to the opening of the laundry chute.  Oops.  We may need to get a tighter latch so it doesn't pop open.  Bad kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment