Sunday, August 19, 2012

Are Those What I Think They Are?

Did you know that I have a thing about shoes.  Always have.  Always will.

I left The High Line and walked down the cobbled streets of the Meat Packing District/Chelsea.  Actually I should say wobbled as those things are hard to walk on.  I had a great time peeking in the windows of high end designers.  There were way too many cool buildings and things, but I took pics, imagine that.  

I was coming to the end of that area and it kind of morphs into a bit of the West Village.  I was walking by a corner shop and something caught the corner of my eye.  No way!  They couldn't be!  5 inch stilettos.  Red soles.  Jewels all over the shoes.  I looked up to read the name of the shop.  No signage.  I walked back to the front of the store, more shoes, no name.  Hmmm.  I was pretty sure that these were the real deal.  Finally, there on the door was a discreet 'Christian LeBoutin' and the hours.  I knew it!  I didn't watch all of those "Sex and the City" episodes for nothing!  I wanted very badly to take pictures, but there was a super huge security guy right inside the door and I was a bit frightened, so no pics.  Dang.  


They are not big on letting you know what is behind closed doors in this area.  I guess if you aren't cool enough to know, you don't need to know.


Okay.  This is completely random.  Barn doors in the middle of Manhattan.  And these weren't the only ones I saw.  I don't quite understand because I would imagine putting the horses under the house would be a smelly endeavor.  Anyone know about this?



I totally saw Marley's Ghost in this door knocker.  I wonder if the Spirits of Christmas will visit soon?



Now this one is for all of my scrapbooking friends out there.  Did you know that there is only one scrapbooking/rubber stamping store in all of Manhattan.  Yup.  And guess what?  I walked right into it by accident.  It was amazing.  It is called The Ink Pad.  The owner's name is Barbara and she was super helpful and knew all sorts of things.  I confess that I spent some money in her shop, but I couldn't help it.  There was so much Washi there.  And Gelato's.  And journals.  And cool new stuff that I had never tried.  Thank you, Barbara.  I will pop in the next time I am in town.

I asked Barbara if she would mind if I took some pics for all of my former co-workers back home and she graciously agreed.  Thanks.  Here's to you friends.  Enjoy.


The main thing to understand about Manhattan establishments is that no space goes wasted.  Every nook, cranny, wall, everything is utilized.  I have never in my life seen so much merchandise in so little space as in NYC.  If you think this is amazing, you should see the hardware stores.  Holy cow!




I found this little place on my way back to the subway.  I went in for a while and found something for Alaska Girl.  Hopefully her brother remembered to pack the things that I got her and took them to her.  Hopefully.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment