Monday, September 17, 2012

Becoming FEARLESS

I am taking a cool art journaling workshop online called 21 Secrets.  It started in April and because I am so organized and in touch, I just started watching videos and practicing a week or so ago.  Hey, Swim Girl moved back home and I remodeled a bathroom and traveled and laid around outside all summer.  I was very busy.

Anyway, this workshop is hosted by a wonderful artist named Connie Hozvicka.  She has a cool site called Dirty Footprints Studio.  I love her just from the name of her site.  She has gathered together several different artists (um, I don't know, maybe 21?) and they all give us lessons on different aspects of the art world.  It might be technique driven, project driven or thought provoking.  I love experiencing all of the teaching styles and learning new methods.

That brings me to today's post.  I am learning to become FEARLESS.  In painting, that is.  I am still a weeny and I just got scared the other day when I watched Paranormal Activity 2.  And it was even still light outside.

To become FEARLESS in your art means just that:  go for it.  Trust me when I say that is scary.  A little over two years ago, I would have never even thought of doing a blog.  Why, I was embarrassed for people to see my scrapbook pages.  Then, I don't know, I must have gotten smacked upside the head by a heat gun or something and all of a sudden, I can't get enough of ART.  Who knew?  I didn't, that's for sure.

Maybe it stems from still being a kid at heart, but I love to get messy and play with all of my supplies.  It's probably a good thing that I teach preschool since that is my mind's age.  Doing art like a kid isn't a giant leap for me.  More like a baby step, I'd say.

Anyway, here is my first attempt at painting FEARLESS.  Thank you, Connie Hozvicka, for turning on that light bulb.  It has clearly illuminated a dim corner of my little pea brain.


You all know how I love me some bright colors.  I actually like the two greens together.  Regardless, I was able to use some very old tubes of paint in the process.  I think one even got thrown out, praise the Lord.  Now I can go buy more.  See how that works?


This went many places before it wound up here.  I won't bore you with the details, but I like where it ended much better than where it was going before it got here.  Got that?


Dude.  I tried adding chest hair, but I wasn't feeling it (I actually LOL'd), so he has lots of layers.

2 comments:

  1. Denise...you are an absolute hoot! I love the way your write--you're super witty! That in itself has it's own flavor of FEARLESS to it! Keep blogging the way you do--and it's sure to catch on and be a hit!

    Plus, thanks for sharing your FEARLESS Painting and especially your process!

    BIG Hugs,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly, Connie. I love that you actually had time to come look at my blog. I got a little tear or two. I so appreciate it. I love to write and love to be a bit sarcastic. Can you tell? Thanks for the lovely comment and the wonderful videos on 21 Secrets. I loved it. I can't even believe that I painted that. Just don't ask me to draw first! Ha. I will try and keep it up. Good luck with the little guy. He is precious. Thanks again. If you're ever in Iowa...
    Denise

    ReplyDelete