Saturday, September 29, 2012

In the Navy

I love my nieces and nephews very much.  I don't live anywhere near any of them, but we try very hard to see them as often as we can.  Just this spring we ran over to Wizard of Oz land to see my nephew's Eagle Ceremony (way cool) and this summer I took on two tweenagers for a couple of weeks.  It is important to note that one is a very sporty girl and one is a Twihard freakette.  Love them.

Last weekend my brother and his wife had a little get together for all of us before Navy Girl gets shipped off to Great Lakes Naval whatever.  Now, this just happened to be the week Swim Girl and her dad (Grocery Boy) were already planning on running down to STL for the Cardinal game.  That was on Thursday.  It was the only time they could go during his week off.  It figures.  So here is what that wonderful man did.  He went down to the game with Swim Girl on Thursday morning and drove back on Friday, arriving home around 3 pm.  Then, we went down for the party on Saturday morning and drove back with Swim Girl (she stayed with the parentals) on Sunday.  Gotta love that man.

Anyway, we had a lovely time having Thanksgiving in September since Navy Girl will be unable to join us at the normal time.  I highly recommend this approach.  I think the pilgrims screwed up.  The weather is better now, there aren't five million things to do right after Thanksgiving in September and well, you just don't feel pressured to do anything but eat.  I move that we change this holiday to the ninth month of the year.  Who's with me?


Yes, here is Navy Girl.  Enjoy that couch now kiddo!  I found out that you can't even have your own underwear at boot camp.  Navy issue.  I just know it will be granny panties.


Her wonderful, beautiful, amazing sister.  


Her other wonderful, beautiful and amazing sister.


The sweet cake her dad and mom got.  The insignia was really cool.  


And her best aunt in the whole world made this apple cranberry pie and hauled it all the way from Iowa to STL along with a caramel apple pie and cookies.  I know the most important parts of a dinner.


On the left, grandma and on the right great aunt.  It was great to see everyone.


That might or might not be Navy Girl's dorky aunt from Iowa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment