Friday, March 20, 2015

Dust Bunnies

Part of our new flooring.
Because I am on Spring Break, I am home while all of the messiest bits are happening during this reno.  I am talking about dust.  Lots and lots of dust.  There is dust everywhere. On our coats, in our dishes, on the floor of the working shower, in the basement; just everywhere.  Since I like to sleep in a little while I'm on vacation, I have been getting up only slightly before everything begins. Normally I am nearly out the door when the crew gets here. Because of my vacation laziness, I wind up taking a shower after they have all left.  I seriously feel like a dust bunny until about 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

Today, they were sanding the sub floor to prepare it for the new flooring.  It seems that we have some crowning in a couple of areas.  In order for the floor to be as level as possible, they need to use a big huge industrial sized sander, just like you see on those home renovation shows on HGTV.  Those suckers are really loud.  When they hit something that shouldn't be there (like a nail) I swear to goodness it sounds like the Earth is falling off of its axis.  This happened about 7 times during the process.  My ears are still ringing.
They wanted us to find any squeaks in the floor before they came
back.  We found a couple and marked them.

These sanders also create a lot of dust.  I kind of feel like we might be dust free by summer. Maybe.  If all goes well.

There was headway made in the upstairs hallway as a part of Phase 3.  The doors are gone and so is the trim.  They were kind enough to leave our bedroom door on for the time being, however.

Interestingly enough, some more vintage items were unearthed with the removal of the door frames. This includes 2 additional layers of wallpaper that I have never seen before and a growth chart that my son did.  I kind of hated to get rid of that.

Today, as I am writing this, it is quiet (relatively speaking).  Only the occasional hum of the thingy that cycles on and off while they use the nail gun.  I can't remember what it is called, but they have it outside to try and keep the noise down.  Bless them.

I forget what they call this, but it is basically the centering strip of flooring.  They will work off of this piece.  Pluto finds it fascinating. 

 The kitchen end of the strip.  The light places on the sub floor are where they sanded to get the floor
even. 

 Our bedroom door is the only one left intact. 

This is the entry from the stairs into the upstairs hallway.  There used to be a door here, but we
took it off when we moved in 20 something years ago.  They are going to finish this off properly for us.  The room on the right is the Bat Cave.

When I took the city map off of the back of Computer Boy's old room (now the Bat Cave), I found
this growth chart that he had made.  I never knew it was there.  Since we are replacing the
doors upstairs, it has to go.  I was a little sad.

You can't read this one very well, but it indicates he is about 5'2" at 12 years of age.

I will miss this.

I will not miss this.  Of course, we didn't know it was there.  This means that they painted over the top of the wallpaper.  We will be leaving it as we are not going to replace the drywall in the upstairs hallway.  No way.  I am about dusted out and we still have drywall to do in the kitchen.

 Underneath that wallpaper is another layer.

This is the final layer of the beautiful wallpaper.  Thankfully, it will all be under the new trim.

I am going to attempt to clean a few things today.  I need to get the new bathroom cleaned up for the shower door and mirror.  I need to paint a couple of things and I need to clean the hallway walls to prep for weekend painting.  I hope to post more pics over soon.  Then it's back to work on Monday. Thank goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment