Sunday, March 29, 2015

Walls and Floors, Floors and Walls

The stairs.  If you can't tell, the carpet is gray.
We have floors.  And, we have walls.  The flooring guys (bless their hearts) are finally finished after eight full days on the job here.  They wound up being about two days longer than expected due to the issues with all of the layers in the kitchen and linoleum in the entryway and hallway on the first floor.  I am pretty sure that they will be glad to be outta here. Apparently, they also had to sand the upstairs hallway the other day. That would explain why I can write in the dust again.

We have walls in the kitchen now.  Yippee.  They put them up the other day and have come by a few times since then to add some more mud.  Most of the walls are sanded and there are just a couple of random places that need additional work.

The shower door and the mirror have been installed in the new bath.  There is a slight glitch with the door, but I am sure that will be ironed out this week.  The accessories are in the back of my van and should be installed this week.  That is, if I remember to take them out of the van.

New wall by the living room.
My big adventure for the week happened when my sewing machine broke during an important project for the new bathroom. After spinning my wheels trying to find a repair service and then finding out I could buy a new machine for about the same cost as repair; I am now the proud owner of a new Singer Curvy.  I finished the project that started it all and am getting ready to do the hand sewing as soon as I post this. A few more sewing projects and that room should be just about ready. Well, minus the artwork and a piece of furniture.

The cabinets are due to be brought in and set on Monday.  This is construction code for:  you have a crap ton of painting to do over the weekend.

So, my husband did a lot of work these past three days.  He finished the downstairs hall and the living room ceiling along with a couple of walls. He had to prime all of the new walls in the kitchen and then give one coat of new paint to certain areas.  And (worst of all) he had to paint the kitchen ceiling.  I painted the shelves that go up the stairs. He is a rock star.  I am a low level groupie not worthy for the dregs of the buffet.

To be fair, I have made all of the paint and supply runs; have spent endless hours on the computer looking for slipcovers and curtains; have gone for food and done laundry and a mound of ironing; made Swim Girl's birthday cake, took her shopping for her gift and then celebrated her birthday.  I went with Swim Girl to check out cars, made it to a movie with my sister and niece and did dishes in the utility sink about 50 times.  My, my.  I do know how to live.

Check in this week for updates.  I should have pics of the cabinets Monday or Tuesday.  Laters.

Our kitchen has walls!  The funny paint job is a reflection of the placement of the new cabinets.  The racing stripe is where the backsplash will go (approximately).  Who knew you were supposed to paint behind that?

This is on the side of the kitchen that is next to the living room.  The inset part is where the new refrigerator will go.  To the left of that, after a very small (9") counter, will be the stove.  I know, I know.  You are not supposed to put the fridge so close to the stove.  However, this is a very small kitchen.  So, we did what we had to do.

Our windows have (had) cornice board, which I hate.  It really makes the room seem heavy and small. This one is covering some hideously ugly fluorescent lights.  We can no longer get new bulbs for those lights.  Big changes are ahead for this.

You can see the patches my husband had to make to cover up the cornice board and drapery holes.  I bought the silica for the painting.  My contribution.

This was my job for the painting party this weekend.  Lame.

This is what our house looks like all of the time.  Except, of course, when the workers are here.  Then it is even messier.  

Skittles loves to play in the plastic.  You can get a glimpse of the flooring under her.  I promise, it is finished.  We just need to keep it covered for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment